Thursday, October 18, 2007

blog 6

I thought the reading “Teaching Students to Use the Internet as a Research Tool” was interesting. I did not know about the subject-specific search engines described in the article and I was unaware of many of the websites listed for teachers. I had not thought about using a search engine’s help area to learn how to best do a search on something. I was unaware that search engines are organized without much intervention from people. I was also unaware that directories are organized more by people. I like that the article gave a step by step example of how to evaluate the credibility of a source by backtracking a website’s address.



I think there are some benefits to using a spreadsheet. One benefit of using a spreadsheet is that it is easy to organize information on it. Also, it is convenient to be able to use a formula and apply it to an entire column. Another benefit of spreadsheets is that the data on the entire spreadsheet is automatically updated after a value is put in. For example, if a change needs to be made to a grade in a spreadsheet about grades Excel automatically re-does the math for all other columns or rows that apply to that grade. Also, it is possible to put information from a spreadsheet into a colorful chart, which may be helpful for visual learners. I think the Excel Quiz covered information from the Excel tutorial and was probably intended to see if the people that took it understood and/or remembered what was covered in the tutorial.

No comments: